”Max und Moritz“ Awards 2016
25. April 2016
25 titles nominated for the ”Max und Moritz“-Awards 2016
”Max und Moritz“ Lifetime Achievement Award for Claire Bretécher
Special Jury Awards for „Katharsis“ by Luz and for avant-verlag
The “Max und Moritz“ Awards, the most important awards for graphic literature and comic art in the German-speaking countries, will be presented during the 17th Erlangen International Comic Salon 2016, which is sponsored by DATEV for the first time this year. Twenty-five titles are nominated by the jury and the audience, seven out of the ten laureates will be announced on May 26 during the “Max und Moritz” Gala.
Claire Bretécher is the first woman to receive the „Max and Moritz“-lifetime-achievement-award.
With this significant honour the jury would like to recognize the highly influential French comic artist, whose work has affected a wide audience far beyond France and the comic realm.
A Special Jury Award will be presented for “Katharsis” by French illustrator Rénald Luzier alias Luz. The book, published a few months after the deadly assault on the editorial team of “Charlie Hebdo”, represents an unsettling document of the fear and terror instilled during the time after the attack. Berlin-based avant-verlag receives the second Special Jury Award for its outstanding merits in the preservation of cultural heritage. Since 2001, avant publishes comics and graphic novels – „Eternauta“ by Héctor Germán Oesterheld (1919–1978) and Francisco Solano López (1926–2011), an adaptation of Dashiell Hammett’s „Flypaper“ by Hans Hillmann (1925–2014) and Rodolphe Töpffer’s (1799–1846) „Die Liebesabenteuer des Monsieur Vieux Bois und andere Geschichten“ are only a few titles amongst the recent publications.
The complete list of nominations for this year’s awards combines 22 titles suggested by the jury as well as three additional publications, which were selected in an online poll by the audience. Based on this list, the jury will present the “Max und Moritz” Awards on Friday, May 27, 9 p.m. in the following categories: "Best German-language Comic", "Best International Comic in German", "Best German-language Comic Strip" and "Best Comic for Children".
The laureates in the categories “Best German-speaking Comic Artist" (5000 Euro endowment) and "Best Student Comic Publication" (1000 Euro endowment) will also be announced together with the "Audience Award" on the night of the award ceremony. This year’s “Max und Moritz” Gala will be hosted by Hella von Sinnen and Christian Gasser.
The 25 titles nominated for the „Max und Moritz“-Award 2016
in alphabetical order:
– Come Prima by Alfred. Translation: Volker Zimmermann. Reprodukt
– Crash 'n' Burn by Mikiko Ponczek. Tokyopop (nominated by the audience)
– Crissis Tagebücher by Joris Chamblain and Aurélie Neyret. Translation: Tanja Krämling. Popcom
– Das Hochhaus. 102 Etagen Leben by Katharina Greve. www.das-hochhaus.de
– Das Leben ist kein Ponyhof by Sarah Burrini. www.sarahburrini.com / Panini Books
– Das Nichts und Gott by Aike Arndt. Zwerchfell
– Der Araber von morgen by Riad Sattouf. Translation: Andreas Platthaus. Knaus Verlag
– Descender by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen. Translation: Bernd Kronsbein. Splitter Verlag
– Die Toten by Stefan Dinter, Christopher Tauber and others. Panini Comics / Zwerchfell (nominated by the audience)
– Ein Ozean der Liebe by Wilfrid Lupano und Grégory Panaccione. Splitter Verlag
– Ein Sommer am See by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki. Translation: Tina Hohl. Reprodukt
– Fahrradmod by Tobi Dahmen. www.fahrradmod.de / Carlsen Verlag (nominated by the audience)
– Irmina by Barbara Yelin. Reprodukt
– Junker. Ein preußischer Blues by Simon Spruyt. Translation: Rolf Erdorf. Carlsen Verlag
– Kiste von Patrick Wirbeleit and Uwe Heidschötter. Reprodukt
– Kleiner Strubbel by Pierre Bailly and Céline Fraipont. Reprodukt
– Können wir nicht über was anderes reden? Meine Eltern und ich by Roz Chast. Translation: Marcus Gärtner. Rowohlt Verlag
– Madgermanes by Birgit Weyhe. avant-verlag (date of publication: 20th May 2016)
– Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona. Translation: Carolin Hidalgo. Panini Comics
– Opus by Satoshi Kon. Translation: John Schmitt-Weigand. Carlsen Manga
– Penner by Christopher Burgholz. Jaja Verlag
– The Singles Collection (Vom Leben gezeichnet) by Mawil. Der Tagesspiegel / Reprodukt
– Tobisch by Joachim Brandenberg. Jaja Verlag
– Von Spatz by Anna Haifisch. Rotopolpress
– 78 Tage auf der Straße des Hasses by David Füleki. Tokyopop
Extracts from the nominated titles will soon be available on www.myComics.de and on this website..
For the fourth time a “Max und Moritz“ Audience Award will be given out 2016. The 25 titles nominated for the „Max und Moritz“ Award 2016 are available for voting. The voting, which is taking place amongst others online on Comic-Salon-Forum will end on the evening of 26 May 2016 at 7 p.m.